In this article, I will show you download file to client browser from a server using asp.net c# MVC razor view with example. I am using FileResult, it allows user to download file from the folder with specified file name. It will return the file with generic octet-stream MIME type.
When the user clicks the download button, it requests the controller method and the specified PDF file will be downloaded by the client browser.
Step 1: Create a mvc application and Right click on the controller folder and add name “Home”. Copy and paste the following code.
public class HomeController : Controller
public ActionResult Index()
private string filePath = "~/Files/";
public FileResult DownloadFile()
var sDocument = Server.MapPath(filePath + "newFile.pdf");
byte fileBytes = System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(sDocument);
return File(fileBytes, System.Net.Mime.MediaTypeNames.Application.Octet, sDocument);
Step 2: Right click on the homeController and create an index view. Copy and paste the following code.
<h2>Download a File with MVC4 Razor view</h2>
@using (Html.BeginForm("DownloadFile", "Download", FormMethod.Get))
<input type="submit" value="Download" />
Post your comments / questions
- Import "django.shortcuts" could not be resolved from source in Django Project
- How to add two numbers in Android Studio? | Source Code
- FindViewByID returns null in android studio -SOLVED
- Saving changes is not permitted in SQL SERVER - [SOLVED]
- Restore of database failed. File cannot be restored over the existing. -[SOLVED]
- One or more projects in the solution were not loaded correctly in Visual Studio 2019 | FIXED
- How to find Laptop's Battery Health?
- SOLVED-Related Field got invalid lookup: icontains error in Django